Tuesday, October 20, 2009

letter pillow

I love letters!! I love letters on quilts, pillows, walls...etc. I am currently looking for a cool H for the wall.

Anyway, I decided to make my boys some letter pillows for their beds. Zac's pillows were small, so I (actually my mom made his) did his whole name. For the other boys I did large letters, so only their first initial.

Here is Jake's pillow on the couch.



I'm terrible with tutorials, but here it goes...if you have any questions or something doesn't make sense....leave me a comment and I will respond in the comment section or leave your email and I will send you an email.

How to make the pillows....this is what I did anyway:)
  • trace or draw your letter onto a piece of poster board...make sure that you take into account a 1/4-1/2" seam allowance, so that your finished pillow will be the size you want.
  • cut out the fabric for the front side of your pillow. make sure that the right side of your fabric faces the correct way.
  • cut out the fabric for the back side of your pillow. cut the back side so that the right side of the fabric is the mirror image of the letter...does that make any sense....your letter should be backwards on the wrong side of the fabric.
  • place the rights sides of your fabric together and pin, if you want...I didn't...I'm lazy like that.
  • sew a 1/4-1/2 seam around the fabric leaving a 3-4 inch gap open for stuffing the fiberfill into the pillow.
  • stuff the pillow to desired firmness.
  • hand stitch or machine stitch opening closed.
  • done.

Zac's pillows...I know they don't really match the bedding, he was temorarily sleeping in this bed when I took these photos.

Posted over at Kimba's DIY Day.

3 comments:

Delightful Dwelling said...

What a cute idea, I love it!

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

So cute! What a great idea. My kids would love that!

XOXO
jen

Sherri said...

Love the pillows and your under the bed 'drawers'. Great projects.